Saturday, February 13, 2010

Cariboo Gardening

Well I thought it might be a good idea to create a blog on Cariboo Gardening, not only for information but to keep some kind of a record for myself.

It seems every year I start out great guns, making a map and writing the dates down when I've planted and when seeds have sprouted, and then.............I stop.

I've been planting a vegetable garden in the Cariboo for 20 years now, experimenting every year with something new. Last year we managed to grow 3 lovely honeydew melons that my grandson insisted on planting in my greenhouse. Other years it's been corn, cantaloupe, grapes, blackberries and more.

I guess the first thing to think about is deer proofing, we have tried all kinds of things and now have a 7' fence around the garden. I'm not sure what happened, maybe the weather, the climate but up until the last 5-6 years the deer and I had an understanding. They left the vegetable garden alone until I'd finished my harvesting and then they could have what was left, but that ended one year with all the broccoli being devoured before we got a chance to even taste it.
Since then the deer entered not only the garden, but also one year got in the greenhouse and ate everything but the stems of the green pepper plants.

We now have a 7' high fence around the garden and bright flagging tape hanging from the greenhouse doorway.

No comments:

Post a Comment