Saturday, May 8, 2010

Planting in the Vegetable Garden

This week I tilled and planted about a third of the garden.  I've done allot of reading and experimenting with companion planting and am a firm believer.  If you are just getting started with companion planting I would recommend the book "Carrots Love Tomatoes" by Louise Riotte

Onions, Beets, Carrots, Peas and three varieties of Lettuce is what got planted so far.  Only one row each of carrots and peas to start. (I want to make sure I've got some earlies - only 4 bags of peas left in the freezer)  It seems I never plant and freeze enough peas.......or is it never freeze enough because they get eaten right from the garden?

Carrots and Peas grow very well together, onions help to repel the carrot fly.  Beets grow well with onions and lettuce, they also grow well with bush beans but not pole beans.  Onions grow well with the cabbage family and like beets, tomatoes and lettuce but do not like beans or peas.

All the above can be planted before the last frost.  The beets usually 2 to 3 weeks before the last frost, if it looks to be iffy I will just cover the rows.

Tomorrow I'm hoping to get the plastic on the greenhouse.
Hoping for a warm sunny day tomorrow....................

No comments:

Post a Comment