Friday, May 14, 2010

Potatoes grown in Straw


A few years ago I thought I'd grow potatoes in straw.  Well it didn't work out as well as I thought it would, I have since done some more research and have decided that I planted them in a spot that held to much moisture.  Today I decided to try another spot, outside of the garden.  I put down a black biodegradable cover, covered that with some soil mixed with compost, place my potatoes, added a little more soil and then covered the row with about 6 inches of straw and watered them really good.  From the research I've done I should only have to water them once a week.  So we will see what happens this year. 

I planted one row of Red Chieftens that should be ready in about 65 days.  They are a high yield potatoe.  The second row I planted  Russets, they should mature in 80 days and this variety is know to store very well.  I will update as the potatoes grow.

No comments:

Post a Comment